Father’s Day With Jim, Basil & Booker, The Bourbon Family
Father’s Day is a few days away and wives, girlfriends, sons and daughters will all be wondering what to do for the man that typically wants to be left alone and rejects presents like Lebron Does Splitter. Let’s get to the core of the occasion, it’s Dad’s day and we’re suppose to get Dad what Dad enjoys – not what we think he enjoys. Dad doesn’t want or trust you to buy him new tools. He certainly doesn’t want you to buy him fishing or golf gear. He has enough ties, and he thinks hiking is boring – sorry, he does. We recommend that you give Dad something he will truly enjoy on Father’s Day – a bottle of premium bourbon! This is also a good idea if you are late getting your act together for Father’s day, (and for those of us that are late writing about Father’s Day!).
We recommend having a Jim Beam inspired Father’s Day. After all, today is National Bourbon Day! Here are some recommendations for the different types of Dads, followed by a unique bourbon recipe to impress Dad, and Mom !
- THE UNIQUE DAD – Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve Bourbon : Single Barrel Reserve Creek Bourbon ($40) will express to Dad just how special he really is by offering a big, full flavored bourbon. Each barrel of Single Barrel Reserve is bottled individually to become one-of-a-kind, like Dad. Each batch is handpicked and will have slight variations in taste, color and aroma. Bottled at 120 proof, this is clearly a one finger sipper. Dad will find more pronounced flavors and a smokier aroma, and although it packs a high proof, the finish is still smooth, just like he wants you to be.
- FATHER-IN-LAW – Booker’s Bourbon: If you are looking to impress your father-in-law, then look no further than a bottle of Booker’s Bourbon ($50). Booker’s is one of the only bourbons available that is bottled straight from the barrel, uncut and unfiltered. Bottled anywhere between 121 and 127 proof, this bottle will show him you appreciate the finer things in life (like his daughter) and can sip bourbon like a rugged male. Booker’s was created by Booker Noe, the grandson of legendary whiskey distiller Jim Beam. So while sipping your gift in his mancave, (lets be real, who has a friggin Study?) you can impress him with your knowledge of bourbon and preference for strong booze!
- THE DAPPER DAD – Basil Hayden’s: Basil Hayden’s Bourbon ($37) originated from a unique family recipe, which dates back to 1796. It is a lighter singular bourbon blessed with rich hints of peppermint, notes of pepper, slight citrus overtones, and a spicy, warming finish. Basil Hayden’s is smooth and approachable like your Dad and is enjoyable served neat or as the base to a traditional cocktail. Utilizing twice as much rye as traditional bourbons, Basil Hayden’s trademark, spicy finish makes the perfect gift for the Dad who is just starting to explore bourbon spirits. Just ask the cast of “Mad Men” who consider Basil Hayden’s their go-to drink on and off set.
If Dad is more of a cocktail man, and you want to impress him with a cool drink recipe, we’ve tapped Patrick Daniel, who is everything that is F&B to The Rugged Male. Paddy is our barman, our bootlegger, our brewmaster, and our bourbon aficionado … as well as actor, model & best drinking partner!
The Paper Plane
- ¾ oz Basil Hayden’s Bourbon
- ¾ oz Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¾ oz Amaro Nonino (a sweeter and stronger amaro)
- ¾ oz Aperol – (Campari’s less boozy and sweet cousin – we all have one)
Created by well-known NYC bartender Sam Ross, the Paper Plane is a great summer drink. Combine all the liquid ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake thoroughly and strain into a cocktail glass filled with ice. Garnish with a lemon twist. Enjoy !
Happy Father’s Day to all the Stand-Up Dads. You are the real tough guys in this world. We applaud your family dedication, loyalty and hard work. Enjoy your weekend, you’ve earned it.
Thanks For Reading !