Super Bowl Sunday – Tough Guy Chili & Wagers
Its that time of year again when the whole world gets together on Sunday to watch today’s modern gladiators take the arena to decide who is the best football team on the planet. The Super Bowl is watched by over 120 million people, making it the largest watched event in America. This pales in comparison to the World Cup, which is viewed by over 700 million. Don’t worry, I’m not going to go on a Manchester United rant here, or suggest that soccer players are tougher than football players.
They are certainly better at faking injuries and competing in a track mete. Sorry, I sat next to Landon Donovan at a sushi bar once and he has hummingbird tattoo on his inside wrist – not exactly rugged. The best part are the damn riots, and the players chasing referees, because we know the score will be 1-0 ! I digress, apologies, futbol does that to me.
On Sunday we will all be sitting in front of the TV for hours, stuffing our faces and reading our resumes to “that guy” who is looking to “network“. Since The Rugged Male is a health conscious environment (sans whiskey and tequila), we thought it would be fun to share a healthy recipe as its always nice to show up at someone’s house with a home-made dish, plus the ladies will love you if its low-cal and tastes good – Yup, Man Skills! We also have a fun gambling suggestion to keep the ladies involved too.
Chili is a great dish to serve when you are having people over, for several reasons. Its super fun to make, your guests can serve themselves, you can use disposable bowls and leave it on the stove unattended for hours. Here is a Rugged Male favorite, written as all recipes should be written, sorry Martha Stewart there are no dashes or pinches used here.
Tough Guy Turkey Cholula Chili
Serves 4 – 200 calories
- 1 quick pour of decent Olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic – as much as you want
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 Cholula Sauce – again, as much as you want
- 1 few shakes of nutmeg (secret ingredient)
- 1 can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 shots of Jack Daniels Whiskey
- 1 medium size pepper – yellow or orange looks good
- 1 cup vegetable broth
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, and watch it melt like in Good Fellas. Then add onion and pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add turkey & Cholula and cook some more.
Add beans, tomatoes and broth; bring to a frothy boil. Reduce heat to low, then, like a ninja, add the secret ingredient and shot of Jack. Cover and simmer until flavors blend, about 15 minutes. Serve with some non-fat sour cream and avocado!
Keep The Ladies Involved
Here is the fun part. It’s typically only the men that get involved with wagering on the game. Since its a heck of a lot more fun when ladies are present on Sunday, we thought we would share how we keep them involved. Its a little known fact that women LOVE to gamble, especially when its fun. Many groups try to pick squares, but often times you don’t have enough people to fill out a board, so here is an alternative method that will keep everyone involved.
Many of you don’t know that The Super Bowl has odds on just about everything in the game and in the arena – coaches, family, halftime show, etc., Vegas has odds on it. Below is just a snippet of legitimate odds you can put bet on in Vegas or online. Write down every possible outcome on its own piece of paper and put them all in a hat. Everyone ante up $20 (or whatever) and decide the payout for each outcome. Have people draw from the hat to get their wagers for the game. Check these out, there are more online.
- How Long Will It Take Alicia Keys to sing the National Anthem? Over/Under 2 min 10 sec
- How many times will Harbaugh be said during game? Over/Under 21.5
- Longest rush by Colin Kaepernick Over/Under 19.5
- After game, how many times will Ray Lewis thank God/Lord? Over/Under 3
- What will Beyonce’s hair look like at beginning of halftime show? Curly/Straight
- Which brother will be shown first during game? Jim/John
- What color will the gatorade be dumped on the winning coach? Orange, Green, Red, Blue
- Who will MVP thank first when interviewed God/Team/Family/Coach
One of my favorites
- What will be higher, Total Goals in Manchester vs Liverpool Feb 3rd or Randy Moss Receptions ?
Enjoy your Sunday .. and Thank You for Reading !